Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Uniquely Singapore

I love the Singapore life, I can't imagine to be anywhere else on this earth.

Where else can you get hawker centres where the uncles and aunties shout across the entire place just to order some coffee? (I don't really know what they shout though.) Although sometimes it's oily and sticky, but I just love the way people gather and just have a simple lunch over good Singaporean food, the sound of frying and clattering of plates. It's just all so homely.

I love it when I feel safe in the public buses at night, when I sleep in my room and I can hear the bus just quietly drive past, and knowing that everything is still consistent and I'm safe in my bed.

I don't show it, but I love to observe the people around me on the MRT. I've always had a fascination of thinking how their lives are from the things they carry, from the way they dress, from the way they talk on the phone, and guessing if they, like me, had a late night before when they try to catch forty winks on the train. The steady train's movement is just so calming, look out and sometimes I would be able to spot a nice view of a river, look at the people walking below, just let my thoughts wander.

I love being at Choa Chu Kang Interchange and Yew Tee MRT station because that's when I know I've reached home after a long day in school or after somewhere tiring. Seeing how the busdrivers talk to each other and people young and old gathering gives a sense of familiarity. And there will always be the makeshift ice cream stall who sell ice cream super cheap.

HDB flats was where I grew up in, from two-room, to five-room, to executive and I always love how I know that I'm where I'm supposed to be no matter where I am in Singapore; they give me a sense of security.

I like the feeling where I step out on a Sunday afternoon and there are people playing in the basketball court, turn to your left and you see a small girl roller blading under the void deck, and a few kids playing badminton. It gives me assurance to know that although the education system is tough, but it's not taking a toll on students here.

Festive occassions are the best -- Christmas lights in Orchard Road, the bright colours of lanterns and candles in the park, food and visiting during Chinese New Year, and so much so much more.

I feel sorry for the tourists who come to the Zoo (which exploit them of their money just 'cos they're angmo. Did you see how much one zoo ticket costs?!), the birdpark and underwater world, leaving Singapore sweating profusely (it's too hot, they say) and thinking that that's all to it. But there's so much more, things they don't see, things that only Singaporeans know and identify with.

I'm glad I'm not anywhere but here :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You gave a very clear depiction of what being a Singaporean means to you. It's so enjoyable reading it. You made me want to be in your shoes and follow after your footsteps. :)

Anonymous said...

ha! mic kon ah mic kon. i agree to you that singapoer will always be home.. but... haha... i kinda wanna migrate to aust one day or something. i love the ausie lifestlye! i think singapore too chiong already. it takes the joy out of living. but thats just me. u should b doing army instead sia... u like... 'love' singapore... i'm just peachy. haha.

Anonymous said...

haha guess what? Botanic Gardens is starting to exploit them thru National Orchids Garden!! haha keep it low yea? *Announce to the whole world!!!* oops...